Friday, May 27, 2005

Church Marketing

This post is for those who are a little more technologically minded....

I would like to hear people's thoughts on this one. It's a pretty interesting article (every article I post about it fascinating of course) because it challenges my own beliefs on worship. Growing up involved in a youth service at my home church in Winnipeg, the discussion about "being a show" often arose. Our "competitors" were often condemned for having smoke, lights, and multimedia wonders because it was too showy. Technology within the church is something that is really going to become a big issue within the next few years. This debate has occupied my mind for years, battling my view back and forth, but for this post I'll stay on the fence. Give the article a read and let me know where you stand.
I found this article originally through monkeyouttanowhere.

2 comments:

timc said...

Hey Steve, ggod post, the article was quite interesting.
Unfortunately there is no space here for me to post my views so I will stay on the fence as well until we meet... ;);)

TC

Cordella said...

Well, even though you wrote this article a year ago, here is my thoughts:) And I will take both sides! For Technology: Jesus always spoke in stories and parables to help the people understand the message, he made it on their level and so maybe we should try the same. Against Tech: I just finished reading a book written by a man that went to prison and was tortured for this faith in China. And his greatest concern is that we make huge cathedrals and have amazing technology and yet we have a desperate need to get to the basics and learn about God. He says there is so much entertainment already that we should be about something more profound. Those are my two thoughts:)